Parents have a legal responsibility to ensure their child attends the Academy regularly and arrives on time each day. We expect students’ attendance to be 98% or above and are always grateful for parental support, as only by working in partnership can we achieve this aim. We do appreciate that there may occasionally be good reason for absence but strongly believe that attendance has a direct link to achievement and so high records of attendance remain a priority at the Academy.
Parents are expected to:
- Ensure their child attends every day the school is open except when a statutory reason applies.
- Notify the school as soon as possible when their child has to be unexpectedly absent (e.g. sickness).
- Only request leave of absence in exceptional circumstances and do so in advance.
- Book any medical appointments around the school day where possible.
Schools are expected to:
- Have a clear school attendance policy on the school website which all staff, pupils and parents understand. Click here to view the Attendance & Punctuality Statement of Practice.
- Develop and maintain a whole school culture that promotes the benefits of good attendance. Please see below for some of the rewards offered.
- Accurately complete admission and attendance registers. These are completed at the start of every lesson. Please access GO 4 Schools for live attendance data for your child.
- Have robust daily processes to follow up absence. Our Year Leaders & Attendance Officer follow up absences with day 1 calls and home visits when required.
- Have a dedicated senior leader with overall responsibility for championing and improving attendance. Mrs Lewis-Gordon is our Assistant Principal responsible for behaviour & attendance.
The following table illustrates the rewards that students will be given if they have 100% attendance and/or punctuality for any week or half term.
- Students achieving 100% attendance each week receive 1 positive point
- Students achieving 100% punctuality each week receive 1 positive point
- Students achieving 100% attendance each half term receive 3 positive points
- Students achieving 100% punctuality each half term receive 3 positive points
- Certificates and prizes on a half/termly/end of year basis
All positive points issued contribute to pop-up rewards which take place throughout the academic year, including the Summer Festival at the end of the summer term.
Click here to view our latest term dates and those for future years where available.
In cases of persistent patterns of poor attendance, parents can be fined up to £2,500 for failing to ensure that their child attends the Academy regularly (extreme cases can result in a prison sentence). Magistrates can also impose a parenting order, which means that parents have to attend a counselling and guidance programme.
More information can be found on the Nottingham City Council School Attendance page.